Last updated: December 2022
Safe Food Australia is a guide to the four mandatory food safety standards:
- Standard 3.1.1 Interpretation and Application
- Standard 3.2.2 Food Safety Practices and General Requirements
- Standard 3.2.2A – Food Safety Management Tools
- Standard 3.2.3 Food Premises and Equipment.
The guide is for government agencies who are responsible for enforcing the standards. Food businesses may also find it offers helpful information about the standards and food safety issues.
Third Edition, November 2016
You can download the complete guide for free
(PDF 3.5 mb).
- Guidance on the new Standard 3.2.2A – Food Safety Management Tools is now available in a new chapter in Safe Food Australia on 3.2.2A guidance(PDF 1.08) and in our InfoBite fact sheets.
Standard 3.2.2A is a new food safety standard for food service, caterer and related retail businesses, becoming enforceable in December 2023. It contains requirements for food handler training, a food safety supervisor, and evidence that specific food handling activities are being adequately managed. Businesses will need to implement either two or three of these tools depending on their food handling activities.
- Appendix 8 - Template examples(Word 101 kb): revised Word templates for businesses to adapt to their needs, to record food safety management activities, including food temperatures, supplier details and cleaning and sanitising.
- A new, 4th edition of Safe Food Australia will be web published soon. This edition will incorporate the new chapter on Standard 3.2.2A and updated Appendix 8 templates, as well as updated reference links and a new appendix on food safety culture. We expect the new edition to be ready early 2023.
InfoBites for food businesses
We’ve also developed some short factsheets to help you understand the food safety standards, by topic. See our