Acceptance of a submission from an applicant country for an assessment of BSE risk is based on the provision of comprehensive data and supporting evidence from the Competent Authority over the five areas listed below. In general, the data requirements are consistent with those of Chapter 11.4. - Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy of the World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH) Terrestrial Animal Health code, 2019.
A risk assessment to determine the BSE risk status of the cattle population and whether the beef and beef products from a country represent a risk to the health of Australian consumers will be undertaken by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ). This document sets out the criteria under the five areas that will be examined to determine BSE risk. Applicant countries should also refer to the documents explaining the assessment process and the requirements for the importation of beef and beef products for human consumption. Countries should note that as part of the assessment, verification of in-country control measures may be undertaken by in-country inspection and the results of any such inspections will be considered prior to completing the country assessment. Countries will be required to provide an annual update report by 31 January to the Australian BSE Food Safety Assessment Committee (the Committee) as described in Section 5. Countries are also required to report to the Committee, within 24 hours, any exceptional developments in regard to the countries BSE status e.g. identification of the first indigenous case of BSE.
The document comprises the following:
- Section 1 - Risk assessment requirements regarding risk release and exposure
- Section 2 - Other system requirements
- Ongoing BSE awareness program
- Compulsory notification and investigation of BSE cases
- Diagnostic capability
- Animal traceability and identification systems
- Animal slaughter and processing systems
- Section 3 - BSE surveillance and monitoring system
- Section 4 - BSE history of the country
- Section 5 - Ongoing review of country BSE status and additional data