19 January 2023
This Notification Circular includes notices that are required to be given to the public, submitters and appropriate government agencies under the Food Standards Australia New Zealand Act 1991 (FSANZ Act).
For information about progress on all current applications and proposals, including anticipated consultation opportunities, see the FSANZ Food Standards Development Work Plan.
New applications and proposals
FSANZ has completed an administrative assessment and accepted the following application. Assessment has now commenced. An opportunity to comment will be available at a later date which will be publicly notified.
- Application A1265 – 2'-FL DFL, LNT, 6'-SL sodium salt and 3'-SL sodium salt for use as nutritive substances in infant formula products (foodstandards.gov.au)To permit the voluntary use of four human-identical milk oligosaccharide (HiMO) ingredients produced by microbial fermentation, alone or in combinations, as nutritive substances in infant formula products (IFP) namely:
- Mixture of 2'-fucosyllactose (2'-FL) and difucosyllactose (DFL) (“2' FL/DFL”);
- Lacto-N-tetraose (LNT);
- 6'-Sialyllactose (6'-SL) sodium salt; and
- 3'-Sialyllactose (3'-SL) sodium salt.
- The four HiMO ingredients are produced from the same genetically engineered Escherichia coli (E. coli) K-12-derived platform strain as Glycom's 2'-FL and LNnT which is already authorised for use in Australia and New Zealand.
Date received: 22 November 2022
FSANZ has completed an administrative assessment and made a decision to prepare the following Proposal. An opportunity to comment will be available at a later date which will be publicly notified.
- Proposal P1061 – Code Maintenance Proposal 2023: To make minor amendments to the Code to:
- Correct typographical errors, omissions, inconsistencies and formatting issues;
- Update references; and
- Remove or amend Notes in the Code in order to reflect the New Zealand Government's decision to require the mandatory addition of folic acid to all wheat flour that is sold as suitable for bread-making in New Zealand, in accordance with Standard 2.1.1 of the Code, on or from 13 August 2023.
Date prepared: 16 January 2023
Information Publication Scheme – Important information for applicants and submitters
Under the Information Publication Scheme, all applications to change the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, as well as submissions on applications and proposals, will be published on our website.
We will not publish any material provided in-confidence. Application documents will be published when we call for submissions. Where large numbers of documents are involved, FSANZ will make these available on request, rather than publishing on the website. Submissions are published as soon as possible after the end of the public comment period.
Amendment to Standard 1.4.2 – Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs) [Australia only]
The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) has notified FSANZ of applications or variations to the APVMA MRL Standard that the APVMA considers will likely result in variations to Schedule 20 of Standard 1.4.2 if they are granted.
More information on these notifications can be obtained at Maximum residue limits – variations
Calls for public comment – Proposed variations to Standard 1.4.2
The APVMA has called for public comment on a number of proposed variations to Schedule 20 of Standard 1.4.2. Information can be found on the APVMA website.
Gazettal of amendments to Standard 1.4.2
The APVMA has registered a number of amendments to Schedule 20 of Standard 1.4.2 on the Federal Register of Legislative Instruments. For further information, go to the ComLaw website.
If you wish to be advised of developments with any of the matters listed above or require more information about anything in this Circular, email firstname.lastname@example.org
To make a submission or ask about submissions email email@example.com
Visit our contact us
page if you have general questions about our work.
If you have general questions about our work you can also write to us at:
|The Information Officer||The Office Administrator|
|Food Standards Australia New Zealand||Food Standards Australia New Zealand|
|PO Box 5423||PO Box 10559|
|Kingston ACT 2604||WELLINGTON 6140|
|Tel +61 2 6271 2241 Fax +61 2 6271 2278||Tel +64 4 978 5630 Fax +64 4 473 9855|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Email: email@example.com|
In accordance with the Food Regulation Agreement, the Australian Government Department of Health is responsible for providing secretariat services to the Food Ministers' Meeting, the Food Regulation Standing Committee and the Implementation Subcommittee for Food Regulation.
Visit the Food Regulation website
or email the Food Regulation Secretariat for more information firstname.lastname@example.org