NZ Ministry for Primary Industries
Phone: 0800 008 333 for general enquiries (free call within New Zealand). If calling from overseas phone +64 4 894 0100.
Contact the Ministry for Primary Industries if your enquiry relates to general food compliance issues (and you don’t know where to start) or if your enquiry relates to:
- primary production
- manufacturers and processors
- food transport vehicles
- information on correct labelling
- registration of food businesses
- food safety programs, auditing and inspections
- complaints about labelling, advertising, undeclared food allergens and composition of food
- food safety programmes where meat, seafood and other animal products are processed (carried out by the Verification Agency within the Ministry for Primary Industries)
- maximum residue limits
- import and export of food
- food emergencies
- organic food
- food recalls
Website: localcouncils.govt.nz or see a list of councils by region here.
Contact your Local Council (ask for an Environmental Health Officer) if your enquiry relates to:
- complaints regarding poor hygiene standards in premises
- registration and inspection of food businesses
- general food safety advice.
- Template Food Safety Programmes (Off-the-peg Food Control Programmes)