In the kitchen, food poisoning bacteria are brought in on raw foods like chicken, meat and vegetables.
Bacteria can also be transferred on work surfaces, cutting boards, knives and other kitchen equipment.
So follow these simple tips to avoid cross contamination:
- Thoroughly clean food preparation surfaces
- Clean kitchen equipment properly during and after preparing foods, using warm soapy water
- Store raw meat, chicken and fish in the fridge below other foods
- Make sure all foods are covered when stored in the fridge
- Wash hands thoroughly before handling food and after handling raw foods
Watch the Food preparation tips video